When the Florida Family Policy Council (FFPC) asked Design4 to assist with their defense of the Boy Scouts of America’s long-standing values, little did we know it would mean not just a campaign but also two new national organizations, two websites, an aggressive social media program, and a custom brand rollout at a national convention…all within six months!
FFPC formed OnMyHonor.Net, a national coalition of more than 30,000 parents, Scoutmasters, Eagle Scouts, donors, and other BSA members to encourage the BSA not to change the organization’s historic membership standards to allow open and avowed homosexual boys to join local troops. In only 14 days, Design4 helped launch OnMyHonor.Net — the official coalition site, and a companion messaging effort.
In a word: Time. Due to the fluidity of BSA’s political situation regarding the decision to change its membership policy, OnMyHonor could only provide Design4 with a 2-week lead time to ready a website and prepare initial campaign messaging.
Ideas for Impact
The Design4 media and creative teams:
- Designed and developed the coalition website.
- Formulated and implemented a messaging strategy for the campaign.
- Developed a social media strategy for Facebook, Twitter and other relevant social media networks, including targeted online advertising.
- Created and managed the OnMyHonor.Net Facebook and Twitter pages, designing original graphics as well as repurposing campaign website content and graphics.
- Developed an email marketing strategy designed to raise money and organize supporters to action.
- Dynamic Growth: despite a limited budget and short timeframes, the Facebook page saw growth of more than 9,000 Facebook page “likes”; the Twitter account gained more than 500 new followers, and the email list grew to more than 10,000 subscribers – all in less than 60 days.
- Continuing Forward: Although the BSA decided to change its membership policy, OnMyHonor.Net pressed forward to birth a new organization. On September 6, 2013, an overflow crowd of more than 1,200 people gathered in Nashville, TN for the inaugural Leadership Convention of Trail Life USA.
PART II: Watch for next week’s email, where you’ll learn how OnMyHonor.Net became Trail Life USA, a new national faith-based character building organization for boys and young men….and feel free to contact us for more information on the campaign rollout.